Hi Everyone:
I know I said I would make the next post on Friday but I ended up spending more time than I anticipated with my cousin and her family who is visiting from Indiana. "Back home again, in Indiana..."
So, here is what we know after Friday's visit with the infectious disease specialist. It's more like what we don't know. The blood work from Wednesday was much better than we had expected. Her white cell count was normal although it was at the high end of the normal range. Everyone suspected that this would be very high; indicating an infection.
The abdominal x-rays did show some fluid build up near her spleen and pancreas. This does not indicate a problem with either of these organs except that their is some sympathetic pancreatitis. This may account for the recent pain.
Vikki had restarted on the two antibiotics and one anti-fungal drug on Wednesday on advice of the surgeon. That may be a case of providential timing that she did so and this will prevent this relapse from being too severe.
Relapses are not uncommon in cases involving Clostridium Difficile; aka C Difficile and C Diff. This is the mean nasty fellow that has caused and may be causing the problems. About 20% of C Diff patients must go through a second round of treatment. BTW, you all have C Diff. spores in a dormant form in your body. As long as they are dormant and in the right proportion to other bacteria, everything is A-OK.
The only new piece of information to come out of the doctor visit was the possibility of lactose intolerance. Again, it is not uncommon for C Diff patients to develope an intolerance to dairy products. Vikki's diagnosis will be a dairy hiatus followed by select food experimentaion accompanied by a lactaid supplement if necessary.
I will post again the early part of next week.
Thank you everyone, Sola Deo Gloria.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for the update Gregg. Vikki we will keep praying for you to get completely well. That is interesting about having a problem with dairy products due to the fungal infection. We love you both.
Ginger, Bruce, Midnight, Ally, Dino and Indy
Post a Comment