Friday, 9.26.2008
Hi Everyone:
I called Vikki at Northside about 8:30am and she told me not to come. She had a restful night, relatively speaking. She wanted to give me the day off. Wasn’t that nice! I only made sure she really didn’t need me by asking four or five times if it was OK. Well, I immediately took a morning nap. Talk about time well spent. I made a few attempts at housekeeping and then I couldn’t stand it any longer. I knew she was having another contrast CAT scan early afternoon so waited until late afternoon to go on down there.
I arrived at 4:00pm to find her sitting up in her chair. It is always a good sign to see her out of the bed. She is minimally ambulatory, i.e., she has bathroom privileges. She is still considered a limited contact patient. Her day nurse, Jeannie, whom I have post script on later, came in to say that she had contacted one of the hospitalist, an internal medicine specialist that works exclusively in the hospital to come take a look at Vikki later in the day.
The hospitalist, Dr. Dancy, is a blessing I believe. She had reviewed Vikki’s files, x-rays, blood & specimen tests, and CAT scans thoroughly. Her assessment of Vikki is that she concurrently has a bacterial infection and a fungal infection. The bacterial infection is a result of the previously leaking bile duct. The fungal infection is a result of the antibiotics used to treat the bacterial infection.
Bacterial antibiotics are non-discriminatory. That is, while they are destroying bad bacteria they are also destroying good bacteria. When too much of the good bacteria are destroyed, the stage is set for a fungal infection. This creates the abdominal pain and bloating. They have installed a pain pump to her IV which allows Vikki some control over the delivery of pain management medication.
Dr. Dancy must begin a balancing act of determining the amount and type of drugs to use to combat these two infections. A certain drug may be good for one infection but not so good for the other. She will consult with an infectious disease specialist to be sure she is on the right track. BTW, Dr. Dancy ordered an ultrasound of Vikki’s legs to rule out the general concern about blood clots. This was never a point of serious interest but due to the swelling she wanted them checked and is giving her blood thinner as a matter of protocol. The only problems with her legs: the swelling, a by-product of the infections.
Her appetite is good despite the reduction in taste sensations. She eats most of her meals; it just takes about 1 hour to do so.
In order to properly administer the drugs intravenously, they are going to install a “pick.” That right, a pick, not a port. The pick is made on the upper arm to access a larger vein. Picks are usually installed on patients that will be at the hospital several days if not at least a week. Yes, you read that right.
She can resume walking again if she gets bundled up in a gown and gloves. She looks like an alien going down the hall pushing her IV trolley and pulling her oxygen tank. (That’s what husbands are good for.)
Her spirits are extremely good in consideration of all she has been through. She is overjoyed when I tell her of your willingness to pray. She has quite a collection of cards in her room; keep ‘em coming.
That’s where Vikki is at right now. Thank you for reading the blog. Don’t hesitate to post a comment. Vikki does get to see them.
Let’s continue to pray for the efficacy of the drugs, reduction of swelling, elimination of pain, and wisdom for her caregivers. Sola Deo Gloria
Gregg
P.S. regarding Jeannie
Jeannie was Vikki’s day nurse for three consecutive days. It has been Vikki’s experience at Northside to have a different nurse at least every other day. When I first met her I thought we were dealing with “Edith Bunker.” She is probably just a little older than Vikki. It was her slightly squeaky voice that reminded me of Edith. Jeannie really turned out to be a true blessing in disguise. She had personally experienced the fungal infection scenario and was treated by the hospitalist, Dr. Dancy. Talk about “been there, done that.”
Near the end of Jeannie’s shift on Friday evening, she came in and sat down and had a little chat with Vikki. In short, this was not a quick fix situation but that her prognosis was very good. It just takes time. It was Jeannie that encouraged Dr. Abend, the surgeon, to bring in the hospitalist. She explained that she just didn’t leave and go home at the end of her shift. She wanted her patients to understand what might be taking place during her absence. SHE REALLY CARES.
Jeannie commutes from Blue Ridge to work three consecutive days, 12 hour shifts, and then goes back to Blue Ridge for 5 days off. The hospital houses her in a motel nearby for two nights. That fact that the hospital is willing to do that must say a lot about her value.
Praise God for nurses like Jeannie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Vikki we are so glad that along with having a great husband you have a terrific nurse watching out for you. We will keep praying and our friends in Napa and Austin are praying for you too. I still think you are in kitty kat with drawal and you need purrs. Love Ginger and cat family
Vikki, it sounds like you are getting better, but with a double-whammy of infections, it may take a while. Hang in there!!
Dear Kindred Spirit
Ah! His ways are mysterious indeed! Yikes! He seems to bless you with some very interesting "things"! All we can do is praise Him for His Love and Mercy and Perfect Will - even as we wonder "what?..." I love you and think of and pray for you (and your precious husband) often! I am recovering very well - feel good - but just taking a shower and drying my hair is exhausting!
Thanks Gregg for this Blog - have been aching to call but this is terrific technology! Looking forward to seeing you soon! Kisses from Lily and Noelle. Love always, kindred spirit Michelle
Hey, Vikki -
So sorry that this saga in the hospital continues! What a bizarre situation! You hang in there & know that I continue to pray for you. I miss swapping kitty stories here at work. We ALL miss you!
Post a Comment