29 September 2008

Monday, 9.29.2008

Weekend Recap

On Saturday, Vikki had a PICC line installed. I misspelled earlier. PICC is peripherally inserted central catheter. The PICC was inserted into a vein on the underside of her right upper arm and pushed along until it reaches a large vessel near the heart. It's about 40 centimeters long. They use an x-ray to assist with the placement. This replaces the "regular" IV line. The PICC is her delivery method for anti-bacterial and anti-fungal drugs, protein, diuretic, lipids (fat) and a PCA. That's not Presbyterian Church of America. PCA is a Patient Controlled Anesthetic. Vikki can give herself a dose of morphine or whatever they are using every 10 minutes. It will not allow her to overdose herself. Also, she can get the nurse to get her a bolus as needed.

For more info:
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/central-venous-catheters-topic-overview

Sunday
I was really pleased to find that her leg swelling had diminished. Her feet were still rather puffy but it was good to see improvement. She was very ambulatory and ate her meals. At midnight, she was NPO. Nothing por oral. No food or water by mouth. Getting ready for Monday's procedure.

Monday, 9.29.2008
Vikki goes to "downstairs" to the labroratory (sp) to have two CAT scan guided drainage tubes inserted. This makes three. One on her right side and two on the left. The sedation kept her drowsy until about 7:00pm. Awake 10 seconds then sleep 10 seconds. A doctor from the Infectious Disease Group came to see her and had a good report for her. The initial lab report for the two new drainage tubes showed no sign of infection. Hoorah. He really didn't expect to find much if anything because she is getting pumped full of all the heavy duty drugs. However, the drug treatment continues. She must, I say again she must, take in protein by mouth. He stressed that her body needs protein and it will get it one way or another. It can feed on itself or she can put it in her mouth. Guess which way he recommends? Her orders are to eat like a ravenous teenager. Wouldn't you like a doctor to tell you that?

The Respiratory Technician has taken her off supplemental oxygen. Even though her lungs are considered clear, she continues to cough which is not being suppressed. She went through the day without doing her breathing exercises. Kind of hard to do when you're sleeping. Tuesday she must begin again, at least once every hour.

Hopefully the only "procedures" in the future will be to remove all of the stuff that she is attached to.

She is making progress but it is a very slow process. She and I have resigned to the fact that she is in the best place to get the best medicine and she will have to be there until she is ready to come home. Coming home will not mark the end of her treatment but the beginning of a new phase.

I have been quietly concerned about Blue Cross paying for all of this. Providentially, not coincidentally, I stepped out of the room and bumped into a staff member I had not met yet. She was coming to see us, to introduce herself as the hospital social worker assigned to Vikki's case. Among her duties, meeting or talking with the Blue Cross on campus representative on a daily basis. Should Vikki require any special supplies upon discharge, she will arrange for it. Apparently, all of the insurance ducks are in a row. Looks like BC is footing the bill for the hospital and four, count 'em, four different physicians; each with their own specialty.

I am looking forward to Tuesday. I will be making sure Vikki does her breathing exercises, makes laps around the hall, and eats protein.

Thank you all for your comments, cards, and flowers. We have the BEST friends and family.

Sola Deo Gloria, Gregg

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise God that things are finally working. I've had 2 of my guys who are also Christians praying for her and they regularly ask about her. I'll have something good to report to them tomorrow. Yeah. Now eat like a teenager sis.
Love,
Bruce

Anonymous said...

The report sounds good. And I praise the Lord for all of it. Vikki you will not have to worry about weight watchers for a while so enjoy eating in the meantime. Sounds to me like everything is on track now, so look forward to every new day getting better.

Unknown said...

Greg, I am a friend of Kristi's and keeping tabs on you all as Kristi asked us to pray as well. I know how much she loves y'all so I am watching quietly. I just wanted to say horrah for the progress, it really sounds like it is turning the corner. And I wanted to tell you that you really do a great blog! I always wondered what NPO stood for. Well done and take gentle care. Lynn

Anonymous said...

Wow, Gregg - this is an excellent update. Give Vikki all our love and tell her the prayers are going up.

You need to stay strong so you can take care of her, too. I know (and I mean I REALLY KNOW)how spending day after day at the hospital can wear down the loved ones til they are not much better off than the sick ones. So you take care.

Love,
Kristi & Harold